Sunday, March 13, 2005

Dilemma

I'm facing a moral problem of immense magnitude.

Okay, not really... I'm going back to Los Angeles next month for the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. This is the event that helped revitalize downtown Long Beach, starting in 1975. The first year it was run with Formula 5000 cars as a test, and from 1976 until 1983 it was the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix West. Following Formula 1's departure in 1984, CART (now Champ Car) has run each race since. Without going into the various politics involved (see CART-IRL split,) it is possible that this may be the last Long Beach GP run with Champ Cars.

My problem is that I want to bring a decent camera to shoot with. I currently own a Canon Rebel 2000 film SLR camera, and have a couple decent telephoto lenses. My digital camera is a rather old 2.1 MP PowerShot 110 that is just a point-and-shoot. I don't like either of those options - the digital doesn't take very good pictures and only has a 2.5X zoom. The film camera takes nice pictures, but they obviously need to be developed ($$$) and I hate hassling with film when going through the airport, and then the pictures usually just collect dust in a box afterwards.

Also wrapped up in this decision is a) the need to reduce debt by not spending money [especially on frivolous toys] and b) delusions that maybe I should explore photography as either a more serious hobby or something to make money with on the side.

Bottom line, I am used to the quality of image that an SLR gives, and even newer P&S digitals just look sub-par to me. I also have two Canon EF telephoto lenses that would be wasted if I got anything besides a Canon Digital SLR.

My choices are basically:
1. Buy nothing, bring the digital camera. Least encumbering and I wouldn't have to worry about keeping track of it when doing other things as part of the race weekend.
2. Buy the new Canon Digital Rebel XT when it comes out next week. ~$1000.
3. Buy the Canon EOS 20D that I mentioned earlier. A nicer user interface (wheel instead of buttons,) faster shooting, heavier duty. ~$1400.

Plus, you know if I bought one of the cameras, I'd be helping the country's economy... and we all have to do our part. :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home