Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Creative Block (part 1?)

I have been developing software professionally for approximately 10 years. I've done projects that have been great successes, and things that haven't really mattered. All of them solved their respective problems, regardless of what happened afterwards. If I have to pick one and only one thing that I am good at, this is it.

I used to write programs for fun. (Yeah, that's the way to attract the girls...I know...) This was definitely a factor in my successful professional career. I would create things just because I thought of the idea. Ironically, after starting to work for real money, it was no longer very interesting to do in my spare time. I still create things, but the ideas don't hold my interest very long.

Ack, this is turning into a long-winded autobiography... ANYWAYS...

What I'm trying to get around to is an exploration of creativity and motivation. I enjoy writing stories, but never get further than a few pages before worrying about whether anyone would read it, finding agents, publishing pressures, etc. I have a hard time concentrating on the enjoyment of the activity, and ignoring any obstacles way down the road. I suppose the athletic analogy might be a beginning skier abandoning the sport because he/she is worried about the pressures of being an olympic giant-slalom skier. I know my friends and others face the same sort of difficulty, which was the whole point of this blog entry.

One of the reasons I created this blog was to try to create something I would feel obligated to do, which might force me to write, when I otherwise wouldn't. So far, that portion has been successful, but I haven't yet started working on other things, stories or projects or whatever... that's the next leap.

---
I realize after writing this, that most (all?) of my posts have been with a negative slant... I will have to think of something positive to write about. I'll post a couple of my better race photographs next time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kara0303 said...

Just keep writing. The creativity will come. At least yours are normal and interesting to read. Most blogs I've come across (and I've only learned about this blogging thing in the past 2 weeks - I'm not quite the computer type)are super weird-os or in a foreign language I can't read.

And to answer your question, holidays are learned, of course!

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home