Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Los Angeles - part 1


Hot Wheels Car
Originally uploaded by MattG42C.
I arrived back from Los Angeles late Monday night (in more than one sense.) A quick summary of my trip: RAIN. The picture of the real-life Hot Wheels car is from the Petersen Auto Museum in LA, next to the La Brea tar pits, which we also went to.

I'll be writing more about Los Angeles, but I'd like to summarize a few key observations (admittedly, mostly negative):

0. I did have fun, Monday was the best weather and it was 70 degrees or so on the beach.
1. I found why Sun Country is $30 cheaper than Northwest Airlines... you are always late. This is not the only reason, but I'm not going to go into that here. (yet.)
2. Los Angeles drivers are better and worse than Twin Cities drivers. They drive fast on the freeway, but they seem to handle it appropriately... very little tailgating, etc. But throw a malfunctioning stoplight in the mix (4-way flashing red,) and they are helpless. It's just totally random.
3. LA has no, or very little, storm sewer system. That's why everything floods. Granted, they only get like 15 inches of precip. per year, but when there is always mudslides, one would think something would change.
4. Beach houses are cool. (and presumably, very expensive.)
5. For some reason, if you check luggage at LAX, you have to enter a second line to hand your bags to the security guy... who just asks you if your bags are locked. Why can't they just use the conveyer system that is already there?
6. We tried to go to an air museum in Chino called "Planes are Fame" but it was closed because there was standing water in the hangars. Next to this museum was a big field with cows. These cows stunk like the zoo. I'm from Minnesota, I know what cows and manure smell like. This was 50 times worse. I don't get it.
7. I managed one decent meal in LA at Hermosa Beach in a "Hawaiian-Mex" bar. The night before, we ordered delivery Thai food, and there was ZERO spice. Again, I'm from MN -- Ketchup is spicy to some people up here -- this was the blandest Thai food ever. How is this possible?

Okay, enough ranting... I really did have fun, but I suppose it's easier to write complaints than anything else. I'll try to do better.

* disclaimer - I wrote this in the posting window on flickr.com, which isn't as user friendly, so if my prose seems a bit closer to grade school level, I'm blaming that. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home