Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Tivo

File this post under the same category as my "DVD addiction" entry...

I've had a Tivo for approximately 4 years now... it's one of the original silver Sony models. A couple months ago, the hard drive started to make a disconcerting high-pitched noise, so I decided to try to upgrade it. Otherwise, I would have to spend even more money on a new model. After a surprisingly easy process and about 45 minutes, I now had an 80 GB instead of a 30 GB Tivo. End result, I can store 30 hours instead of 10 hours of stuff.

There is now a backlog of TV to watch... probably about 10 hours of shows that I thought looked good enough to record, but not good enough to watch as they happened. It has become another pile of stuff to "go through" while at home. Yet, I can't imagine watching TV without it. The ability to pause live TV and easily setup recordings is very liberating. But at the same time, it seems to bind me to television even more. I think this is a bad thing.

I suppose it is a bit different being a single person. I don't have any over-arching priorities besides the job, and maybe eating. :) If something more important comes up, the Tivo gives me the ability to watch the show later. But in a weird way, it becomes another thing to "deal" with, and another thing to do instead of something presumably more important.

Is Tivo good, bad, or a little of both?

---

On a totally different note, 8am meetings are bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home