Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Blogging Ideas - First Movie Review

Carrie (aka Knit-Whit) suggested that I do movie reviews as a means to update more frequently. I think this is a good idea, but having been so busy lately, I still doubt I can update more than a couple times per week. With that in mind, I'll kick it off, and try to add a few contextual links for those who like cross-reference thingies. (These will not be terribly long reviews, just my impressions.)

Spoiler Warning -- I may or may not divulge plot details below... proceed at your own risk or curiosity.

---

Napoleon Dynamite
--

The primary plot line of this film surrounds a socially awkward "teenager" in rural Idaho named Napoleon Dynamite. His immediately visible family includes: a hippie-ish grandmother, a stuck-in-the-80's uncle, and 30-something Kip, who is apparently Napoleon's older brother.

Typing this up in blogger, I started to detail the plot a bit, but decided that it really wouldn't do any good, you'll have to watch the movie. :)

ND appears to have two distinct camps: those who love the movie, and those who hate it. I'm afraid I fall into the latter. There were funny moments, and it does have a bit of what I call the Spinal Tap effect -- it's more humorous to recall the funny stuff than to actually watch it in the first place. But it's just not quite to that level.

After a conversation I had with some friends last night (post golf-tourney beers were being imbibed,) I have a hypothesis of what the problem is. Those who watched the movie and just saw a bunch of funny, weird, messed-up stuff happening to the main character liked it. Those who watched the movie and empathized with this socially-challenged guy and felt sorry for him for all the weird, messed-up stuff surrounding him, hated it and were generally bored.

My Netflix rating: 2 out of 5.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Bravo Matt. You're back on my daily read list.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home