Monday, June 27, 2005

Household Ecosystem

A great many things have been happening recently, some good, some bad, nothing I really feel like writing about -- at least at the moment.

---

Anyways, I hope I took steps to remove the local wildlife residing in my basement for the past several weeks. I don't really use my basement much, except for the washer & dryer, so to say it gets neglected by the vacuum is probably a slight understatement.

When I moved in a couple of years ago, a small table I had broke apart... it's one of those really simple tables with two flat sections connected by four posts. Pretty basic. The leftover pieces of which get moved around every couple of months as I clean or reorganize the downstairs. Apparently, the last move resulted in an ideal environment for silverfish. When I went to clean the most recent time, there were probably about 20-30 silverfish, some alive, most dead. What killed them? Presumably spiders, as a few of the victims were balled up in silk suspended from the table surface, which was leaning against the wall.

What is eating the spiders you ask? House centipedes. These things are scary looking. Not too many insects get to me, but these things make my skin crawl. First of all, they are FAST. Secondly, and probably most notable, if you happen to "squish" one... the detached legs continue to twitch for a minute or two.

All of these guys disappear in the winter months, so obviously they have not signed a year-round lease. If I could just figure out where they come from...

---
In the interest in writing anything, the preceding post was not checked for grammatical, typographical, existential, geometric, or emotional errors. I also just read the Wiki I linked above, and apparently house centipedes eat silverfish also. Great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home