Monday, August 14, 2006

Minnesota Nice?

I'm not sure whether to file this under Minnesota, cycling, or just general human behavior. I've put about 800 miles on my two bicycles across the past 5 months. During that time, if not on an organized ride where saying hi to everyone would be impossible, I've made a concerted effort to say "hi", wave, or at least nod to people that I have passed on the trail/road. I would say that less than 10% of non-cyclists greeted offered any kind of greeting in response, with a slightly higher percentage of cyclists acknowledging my existence. Those least inclined to any sort of response were women by themselves (especially those under 35), older folks (>60), and cyclists in full "Fred" get-up.

During previous stints of riding over the years in Minneapolis, this year definitely being the most miles, I've noticed similar behavior. I have a feeling that were I accompanied by a female, or better yet, children, my percentage would be significantly higher.

Perhaps people have gone through the same attempts as me, and getting no response, simply stop trying to say hi, thereby perpetuating the situation. It's not as if I go home and cry myself to sleep over this -- I'm just sort of surprised that so many people can't be troubled to be polite when encountering other people... maybe they're not used to being outside their 6000 pound SUV's.

No real point here, just kind of curious if this is a phenomenon unique to Minnesota, or Minneapolis in particular, or just general isolationist attitudes that all Americans have.

Closed-circuit to Splatgirl: Ha, I wrote something. Where's my chocolate cake? (Kidding.) :)

7 Comments:

Blogger splatgirl said...

dood.
A. You need a dog.
B. Chocolate cake, yes. I just need more than an hours' warning and cake you shall have.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I've had some similar but maybe not so similar experiences with people on motorcycles.
Last Saturday I rode about 80 miles, in that time I tried to "put a hand up" to everybody I passed on a motorcycle. Helmet or no helmet, Harley or sportbike. About 95% of the riders would initiate the exchange or wave back.

My point? Maybe I don't really have one...

I don't think it has anything to do with MN or Minneapolis for that matter.
Maybe bicyclists are snobs ;-)
I also think it wouldn't matter if you were with a female or kids, people on bikes are probably simply concentrating on their riding.

My 2ยข

p.s. Good to see you're back Matt..

9:16 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Oh, yeah...

I agree, you need a dog.

Now THAT may get you some waves. ;-)

9:17 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

i don't think most "basic" dogs can maintain 19+ mph for more than a few seconds... :) Like I said, not that it bothers me, I just find it odd... and it was something to write about.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Splatgirl and I are wondering, what's full "Fred" get-up?

11:13 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

A "fred" is a term for other cyclists, with widely varying meanings... usually [but not always] derogatory. Basically it's either someone with all the new gadgets and team jerseys, yet perceived as slow. I'd do a search on Google...

11:51 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Oh, and one of the best cycling podcasts out there is the FredCast. www.thefredcast.com ...

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home