Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Geek Zone Ahead

I just put together a PC for my father last night... I ordered the parts from www.newegg.com (great site, btw) -- and after about an hour worth of troubleshooting, due to not reading the entire manual, got it working. Pretty nice setup for $450. The kicker is that my dad is going to try using Linux for a while. Now, it's not like he's a computer neophyte by any means; he works with them every day, but it still comes as a shock.

It's just tempting enough to put together another PC like this for myself. But considering that I have 3 PC's (excluding my work laptop) at my disposal, that might be a bit much. I have a hard enough time fully utilizing them as it is. One of them is too old to be useful for anything but a file and print server (which is its function,) I have a 12" PowerBook, which is basically a browse the web while on the couch machine, and my Windows PC is small form-factor Shuttle. Think a PC about the size of a shoebox, but slightly taller.

Maybe I could lease processor time to Pixar or NASA or something... that should bring in a solid 25 cents every month... and in a few decades, I can pay off the investment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home