Monday, October 10, 2005

Must... Write...

The internet is evil. There. I've said it. Not because it contains nekkid pictures, or that whole virus thing, or because blogger doesn't double space sentences, or even because there's probably a forum for people to talk about what kind of flashlight works best while hiking down a gravel road when the moon is at 42 degrees above the horizon. (Okay, maybe that last one is slightly evil.)

The internet is evil because it is there. It is like television on steroids. Have you ever been able to sit in the room with the television, and get anything done? It speaks to you... there might be something interesting on, maybe not, you'll never know unless you click that Power button. Yes, yes, yes, you can get your cable/satellite disconnected, but that's like cutting off your arm to stop your fingernails from growing. The internet is television times 10. Not only can you watch mind-numbing, time-wasting things, but you can actively participate in them!

Personally, I read probably 2 racing forums, several "geek" news/info web site (plug: www.arstechnica.com,) and a bunch of other daily reads. Not including blogs. It is nearly impossible for me to sit down at my home computer and not just browse the web. If I have something to accomplish for work, or banking, etc., then no problem. But if there's something I could be doing, say writing, taking photographs, designing nice layered-effect shrubberies... it just won't happen.

Yes, this is all about self-discipline... something I lack in various areas. Yes, I must work on this. Yes, the country, nay, the world is littered with middle-class people who work hard during the day, then slack off at night. I don't really have a point. I probably should come with some gripping, profound, unique statement that wraps all of these up into one unavoidable conclusion. ... oooh! There's a new sudoku puzzle out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home